Wednesday 2 April 2014

Lent 2014 - 2nd April: Spiritual Direction


 

As I have written these blogs on simple pleasures I have tried to write about something I have found pleasurable and want to give thanks for that has happened that day. Today I met with my Spiritual Director so today's simple pleasure is Spiritual Direction. Sometimes our spiritual life can be very arid. It is like walking through a desert with the sun beating down and no sense of where we should be headed. I am blessed to have a number of good friends who I can call on to pray for me. For a long time I wondered about having a Spiritual Director to accompany me on my spiritual walk. About a year ago I decided God had been nagging me long enough and that I should give it a go. I am so glad that I did. I have been truly blessed. 

It is easy to loose our way in the desert sometimes we need help in finding the way and seeing the signs of where God is in our life. Sometimes we need someone to challenge us and help us to face up to difficult questions. Sometimes when our spiritual life gets boring and routine we need someone to suggest knew ways of connecting with God. I feel that I have been wandering through the desert of life for a while now. Trudging through sand is tiring and can be lonely. It is then when we need our praying friends all the more. It is the time when we need God but can't always see how closely he walks along side us for the sand that is blowing in our faces and getting in to our hair. I started spiritual direction because I wanted to refocus on God and my spirituality and to draw strength from that in order to get through the hard times. Yes, this is normally for a Christian but I wanted to be more definite about it. Whilst I may have to continue to walk through the desert a little while longer, and no doubt it is a place I will revisit at some stage in my life, I can see signs of new life beginning to break through. There are streams of living water in the desert but sometimes we need help in finding them and drinking from the cool waters. 

There is nothing magical about spiritual direction but there is something more precious than that for me that I can't quite put into words. It is something holy. A divine appointment. As I look back on the thoughts and feeling that have been shared, the tears and the laughter, I know that my journey has been made easier through sharing. A big thank you to my spiritual director, you know who you are. Thank you for sharing your gifts with me and encouraging me along the way. Thank you for believing in me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!