Thursday 23 February 2023

An Adventure through Lent: joy!



Today is the start of Lent. The start of an adventure! Would you like an adventure or shall we have tea first? Tea is a good thing as it makes us pause and rest for a while. It’s always good to take stock, to look back, and to reflect. It’s also good to laugh at the absurdity of it all. There is lots to laugh about in life but we seem to become much too serious if we are not careful, or is that just me? I’ve been known to dress up as a white rabbit and invite people to church for a Mad Hatter’s teas party before now. It was an induction service where I officially became minister of the church, often a solemn occasion. I wasn’t not taking it seriously I just wanted the community to come and to have fun. Start as you mean to go on as they say!

Last night my comedy writing course classmates and I put on a show. It was a theatric reading of the scripts we had written. I got to play the parts of an estate agent who liked dressing up as a bear, a psychiatrist with some very strange clients, a patient who was advised to make and eat shepherds pie to help with their alcohol addiction, and Henry VIII! Today I found out Henry VIII was crowned at Gloucester cathedral. 



I’ve been reflecting recently about why church has got so serious. There has to be more room for laughter in our services. It’s not about entertainment it’s about being fully human. Jesus laughed. God laughs. I like to laugh a lot! My happy place is fooling around. It’s how I like to connect with people. We are created to experience joy. Philippians 4:4 says, ‘rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, rejoice!’ Galatian’s 5:22 reminds us that joy is one of the fruit of the spirit. So where’s our joy? What are the things that bring a smile to your face and make you laugh? So often Lent is about giving up things but what about taking something up? What about taking up something that brings you joy and makes you laugh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!