Saturday 19 April 2014

Lent 2014 - 19th April: simple pleasure of Easter


I have blogged over 40 days worth of simple pleasures in which to be thankful for. Some have been a little tongue in cheek, such as cows, others have been much deeper in thought. All have been heart felt and things I enjoy. Maybe I have  missed off a few things. I don't think I mentioned the simple pleasures of gardening or cooking for instance. I'm sure you can think of other things I've missed.It is easy to see the negatives in life and to become negative as a result of focusing on the things that need changing. It is easy to pick holes and less easy to give constructive criticism. It is not always easy to stay upbeat and positive about life especially when the proverbial hits the fan. As a perfectionist I can be quite hard on myself but I have learnt that there is always going to be something I could do better or change. Being at college taught me the art of deadlines and having to put aside perfectionism in order to meet those deadlines. Actually I work much better this way. However, not all of life has deadlines. Maybe that is just as well. There is of course one deadline we all face. Some people know when their days are numbered, others never know and they are here one minute and gone the next. Whilst we are here surely it is better to focus on the beauty and good things of life rather than the bad and the negative.

The Easter message is about the painful death of the Messiah who was hung on a cross, despite his innocence, but the focus is not so much on his brutal death but rather on the resurrection and the concurring of death. Jesus overcame death and paid the price for our negativity and wrong doing. Through faith in him we have been given life, eternal life, to live to the full. The world may bring us all sorts of problems but what matters is how we choose to deal with them. I pray that you may focus on the good things of life, those simple pleasures, and that they may give you joy and the strength to carry on. Life is full of many twists and turns but as every Sunday School child knows the answer is always Jesus. Now what's your question?

I love Easter it is a simple pleasure all in itself. Have a blessed Easter and rejoice in the good things of life that God has given us to enjoy and savour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!