Wednesday 2 April 2014

Lent 2014 - 1st April: Music


As I write I am listening and half watching a George Michael concert on TV. George's music has featured in one of my earlier blogs. You can find in here if you want to have a look. I seem to like his music more as I have got older. Maybe I am just re-living my youth, who knows. Today's simple pleasure isn't George Michael, although I am sure he is to some, but music. I love music. I like to sing, not that I am a brilliant singer, I just like singing. It brings me joy and puts a smile on my face. Car journeys are the best when the music is turned up and you can sing to your hearts content at the top of your voice. Life is so much better with music. I love good guitars, strong vocals and a good beat. Translated that means the likes of Queen, The Police, The Eurythmics/Annie Lennox, Texas, and many more. I prefer rock, indie, or alternative genres. I like 80's music more now than I did at the time. Generally I think 90's music was much better with the likes of R.E.M. Alanis Morrisette, Pulp, Blur, Manic Street preachers, Supergrass, Oasis, etc, etc.

There isn't much I dislike but drum and base and boy bands would be amongst them. I can't image a world without music. I can't imagine a world without being able to praise God. Music is about expressing how we are feeling or wanting to feel. If we are feeling sad then we may want to play something soulful and relaxing, perhaps some Dusty Springfield, Simply Red, or Adel, or Leona Lewis. If we are feeling happy and full of beans then we would crank up the volume for a bit of Robbie Williams (sorry very Girlie choice), some Bryan Adams. or Dire Straights, or Guns n' Roses. If we wanted cruising music then some Beach Boys, or The Eagles, or well depends what you are into I guess. For me praising God through song is about expressing how I am feeling and also about getting in tune with God. I may not always feel like worshiping God through singing when I start to sing but my mood and my whole being starts to change as I engage with the music and as I engage with God. Singing in church on a Sunday, or around the house, or in the car is the way in which I connect with God. This may be through worship songs or it may be in a secular song. Music is a powerful thing. It is my simple pleasure. Thank you God for music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!