Saturday 22 March 2014

Lent 3014 - 22nd March: special places


Another simple pleasure from me... special places. There are many special places that I have already blogged on. Today I focus on The National Memorial Arboretum at Arelwas, Staffordshire. It is a special place for me for a number of reasons. My husband is ex-military and served with the Grenadier Guards whilst the Arboretum is not just about remembering those who have died in conflict, for me, this is a significant reason why I like to visit. The Arboretum is fairly close to where I live and one of the places locally that I feel at peace. It is quite exposed and can be rather chilly on windy days. It can also be rather wet under foot. I love going at different seasons and seeing the change in landscape both because of the season and because there is always something new to see. It continues to live, and breath, and grow on behalf of those who have died and are remembered in our hearts. 



The Arboretum pay only a peppercorn rent, of £1.00 PA I believe, for the land that has has the gravel extracted from it. As the gravel company extracts the gravel for the adjacent land it then gives the land other to the arboretum. This is such a generous act that again makes it so special. It is a place I can loose myself in for hours. The other reason close to my heart is that a friends name (a close friend of my husband) is written on the remembrance wall. It is a special place for remembering. If you have never visited I would urge you to do so. It is important to remember those we love. For me the Arboretum is a special place I hope it becomes one for you as well. Maybe you have your own special places where you can relax, feel at peace, and remember?


1 comment:

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!