Monday 17 March 2014

Lent 2014 - 17th March: books


Today's simple pleasure is a good book. I love reading. I started reading aged 4 and haven't stopped since. As a child I loved to read comics and had a couple every week. Who can remember 'Twinkle' and 'Bunty'? My favourite was 'The Beano'. I loved Denis the Menace and The Bash Street Kids'. I still have some childhood copies. I also have a first 'Nutty' comic squired away and a few copies of The Dandy. My dad was a journalist so the house was always littered with newspapers, magazines and lots of books. My mum also loves to read. 

In my teens I grew away from the Enid Blyton classics and fell in love with Thomas Hardy and Tess of the D'urberbelles, and Far From the Madding Crowd, along with Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. I normally have a book of sorts, if not more, on the go. 

I love books and I love to read. If I could choose only one to read for the rest of my life then it would have to be the Bible. Now that's a surprise, isn't it? Favorate book of the Bible would be difficult to choose. At the moment I'm still wandering through Exodus with Moses. I think I would choose Isaiah, or Job or maybe the Psalms. If I could read only one ever then the Psalms. 

Today's simple pleasure - books.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!