Wednesday 14 February 2024

Reflections on Lent



Today marks the first day of Lent, Ash Wednesday to be precise. Many from the Anglican and Catholic traditions, amongst others, will have taken part in an Ashing service today. Ashes from the burning of last year’s Palm crosses are used to make the sign of the cross on a believers forehead. So if you have seen someone walking around with a black smudge on their forehead today you now know why! 

Lent traditionally means a period of 40 days of fasting ending at Easter. Sundays aren’t counted as they are considered feast days however, many people choose not to break their fast. Fasting can be from anything from meat to chocolate to social-media to abstaining from alcohol. It promotes self-control and self-discipline. 

Lent is also a time of reflection, often self-reflection. There is certainly no point in fasting if you don’t reflect and at least think about why you are doing so. 

As well as fasting people can also choose to take things up. It maybe gratitude and being purposely thankful for something everyday, or to do a good deed every day. The list is endless really. 

This year I have decided to abstain from alcohol and to blog more regularly. The aim is to blog every day but I don’t want to be legalistic about it as you never know what curve balls life will throw at you that will need their attention. I’ve done both of these things in the past so nothing knew for me. The reflections however will be different some of which I will blog others perhaps will be more private. 

Well not much hilarity going on in today’s post so far! So, what can I say to make you at least smile? I will leave you with a joke that I was told last week….

How many tickles does it take to make an octopus laugh? 

Ten. Ten tickles! (tentacels)

So tell me a joke. Squid Pro Quo and all that! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!