Friday 11 September 2009

Holiness and hope


'Therefore prepare your minds for action; discipline yourselves; set all your hope on the grace that Jesus Christ will bring you when he is revealed. Like obedient children, do not be conformed to the desires that your formally had in ignorance. Instead, as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; for it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."'
1 Peter 1:13-16 (NRSV)


It is my desire to be holy and to live my life like Christ. Alas I often fall short of this goal. God in his grace forgives me when I muck up and get it wrong. I hope that my spiritual life grows deeper in Christ and I hope that my life continues to reflect that. My hope is in Christ. At the start of every movie or television program the director shouts, 'Action!' and the actors and actresses burst into life. I hope that I am preparing my mind for action. Both in my academic study and in my personal life. I am waiting for the director to shout 'Action!' once more so that I can begin the show and start my ministry in its fullness wherever that may be.

The photograph is of my grand-daughter Ella-Louise who will be one on the 15th September. Her life is only just beginning. As is my grand-son who is due to be born around the same time. For him the cry of, 'Action!' is about to be shouted for the first time. What will my grand-children's lives turn out to be like? What kind of world will they live in? Will they be obedient children? Or will they go off the rails? I pray that they may know the love of Christ and his hope for their lives. That too is my prayer for you on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Open to all but please don't be rude!